Every guy should own a Casio G-Shock, that cheap, digital and plastic (generally speaking), sometimes colorful and always tough as nails line of watches. It’s like a two piece suit, a television, sneakers, or a pair of blue jeans: every man should have at least one (not to mention survive with only one). It has an all important place in a man’s wardrobe (or watch collection): for those weekends slacking-out or when you want to rough it up–two things us guys can’t get enough of.
If you don’t have a G-Shock, shame on you! But you’re reading this so you’re a step in the right direction. There are hundreds of G-Shock models out there, and Casio churns out about a dozen new models every month. So if you’re going to own one, which would it be? Allow me to suggest: the GW-5000-1JF. Currently, it’s the one and only G-Shock I own, and the only G-Shock I’ll ever need.
Why this one? Here are the reasons:
1. A spartan, no-frills model with a utilitarian tool watch aura, based on the form and construction of the first G-Shock ever released in the market: the DW-5000C, launched April 1983. No other G-Shock taps as deeply into its history and heritage.
2. Correctly proportioned, in contrast to most other G-Shocks with gargantuan heads. Guaranteed to please even the most conservative.
3. It’s one of the few remaining models that’s Made in Japan. Quality abounds.
4. It has a resin strap that’s softer and of higher quality than “regular” G-Shocks (translation: more comfortable on the wrist).
5. This G-Shock is made of metal (with a steel case and a DLC coated screw in case back) giving it even more toughness and reassuring heft.
6. Rare. While not a numbered model, it’s produced in very limited quantities. For the longest time, its supply cannot meet demand. A plus for watch snobs.
7. It is more likely to survive a Zombie apocalypse more than you can. It is also the perfect wristwatch for Doomsday Preppers.
Don’t trust me? You’d better. Do a web search and you’ll discover G-Shock loving Netizens raving over this grail model.
Convinced? Don’t hit the mall yet as this watch is quite elusive. Your best bet is to get it online. And while you’re waiting for the FedEx guy to drop your new GW-5000, feel free to enjoy more photos below. By the way, G-Shock is celebrating it’s 30th anniversary.